Hunting Land

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
If you had the money, would you buy land for the purpose of leasing it out to hunters? I have heard there is a good revenue stream in this business if the location and acreage is right.

It can be fairly cheap too.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
I consider it but I'd be darn picky who was allow to hunt.

Barncat

Farm Hand
Cheap? Where are you located? I dont know, but it sure isnt cheap anywhere that Im aware of. In our state (Mn) I doubt you could get land taxes back, let alone any return on investment.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
If you have money, and think buying otherwiswe undevelopable land to lease to hunters is a good investment - I have a great investment opportunity for you. Its a bridge I own near Brooklyn, you will make a fortune by charging only a small toll - I wouldnt be selling, but going to be away for a while.

Seriously. Land as an investment, fine - if you know what your doing, you can make money at it - but its highly speculative. Have landvthat you've acquired via whatever means (inheritance, unuseable land attached to your farm) that is not in use and want to lease to recoup some $$, then yes - it can be workable.

But buying land to lease to hunters, I do not see how it could work. Say your buying land in Southern Ohio...going rate for residual land is 2-2500 an acre. Going rate for a year lease is 10 per acre per year. So its going to take you 20-25 years to "break even" - but as Billy Mays said "Just wait...theres more".. you gotta pay real estate taxes - figure there goes 1 dollar per acre per year...liability insurance is a must and this assumes you can lease every year....what if theres a disease outbreak amongst deer....your done for a year for sure and maybe longer. Pretty soon your at 30+ years until paying off your "investment".

Now can you lease 10 years and sell, sure...but after agent commisions and fees, unless land appreciates - your right back where you started investment wise.

For comparison, commercial properties - investors seek to recoup their capital outlay within 7-12 years, residential anywhere from 5-9 on average. Yes, these buyers have higher month to month cost and more vacancy risk...but the opportunity to appreciate is higher.

If your going into this line, the $$ is in offering hunting "tours". Week long experiences with a lodge, experienced guide and all that. Your talking 3500 a person per week. Again, great for a hands off investor - no. But if you are a serious hunter, can get along well with the public and justify the expense of a hunting lodge and 250-800 acres, you can make a nice income stream to maintain your interest.

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
Real estate agents will try to sell you that bill of goods, but do the math first to see if it's realistic. If there isn't much of a need, don't create the supply.