Is Red Wire Positive Or Negative

Queener

Is the red wire positive or negative? I've been trying to figure it out, and I think I might have things hooked up backward.

Syd. L

Syd. L

Farm Hand
It's positive. On a car battery you will have a + and a - on either terminal. The + is positive/red. The - is negative/black. I'm pretty sure all vehicle batteries are like this.

markmc60

Is the red wire positive or negative? I've been trying to figure it out, and I think I might have things hooked up backward.
not that simple, the cables can be bought in either color, and if you did not put them on then you need to follow them back and see where they go to be sure.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Normally, red is positive ... unless someone has changed/subverted it

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Never overestimate the last guy's abilities.

MR52

MR52

Do need to be cautious, have just purchased a Ford 3000 which some one has restored and decided should be positive earth, not a
problem but took a while to get my head round. In this case both where black wires, but definitely red for positive which ever way you decide to connect it .

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
Depends on what your working on some of the older tractors like a Ferguson tractor was six volt positive ground

MR52

MR52

The red should be positive. The sure way is to follow the wire form the positive terminal of the battery regardless of what colour it happens to be at the time and see if it goes to the solenoid on the starter (so negative earth) or the mounting bolt ( so positive earth ). The starter motor will work either way round so unfortunately that is not a guide of how it is supposed to be wired.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
To be safe follow the battery to where it grounded usually to frame that would negative.