I've inherited a khat farm in a country where it's legal to grow.yikes

Farmdummy

Farmdummy

So I've inherited a khat farm in Yemen. I know nothing about farming but I do know it's worth a very handsome amount of money. Another thing I do know is the locals over water their fields. I'm looking for a mentor to guide me in changing the way the locals farm and water their fields. The plants a evergreen shrub. Who will take on this task and help me find the best efficient way to water and produce better plants.

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
If you know nothing about farming, and it's in Yemen, I would sell it to the highest bidder. Reasons?

1. You're not going to change the locals' minds about how to grow this because A..... They have been doing it for hundreds of years, and B.....you know nothing about farming. You said it yourself.

2. You can't fly overseas from America anymore because of the COVID restrictions. Especially to a place like Yemen and especially for the purpose of growing a crop that is illegal in America.

3. You would have to sell it in the parts of the world where it's legal, so it's not so much about not knowing how to farm anymore. It's more about foreign commerce, trade, laws and the different currencies / exchange rates.

Sell it dude. Whatever you get out of it will be all profit. That's the good thing about a bad inheritance. Take that profit and invest in medical marijuana growing operations.

Farmdummy

Farmdummy

I really appreciate your advice. You know it was the first thing I thought of doing. Selling it sounded like the best thing to do. But let me clarify a bit. I am currently in Yemen can't leave either that window of opportunity is gone. All airports are closed as well as borders. Yemen is a shitty place right now yes but so far coronavirus free ( yes I don't believe that either).
I of course do not plan on exporting and of the khat anywhere especially The US as it's illegal or anywhere else for that matter.
The profit this field generates here in Yemen is honestly just to good to ignore or let go.
You Are right about not changing the locals minds on how to grow, but I believe with better knowledge and techniques I can use better fertilizer imported to me and possibly a better way of watering the crop. (I found out they over water, they nearly flood their fields with a 5 inch water pipe pumping water from a well. No sprinkling system what so ever).
I'm going to give it a shot. Of course after consulting some state side farmers and agriculture heads and see what I can try. Wish me luck

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
It sounds like you have done cost/benefit analysis concerning the importing of fertilizer? I've heard stories about the profit margin of this crop. You're one lucky dude.

The timing of it all kinda sucks though. Good luck with it, I hope it works out well.