Keeping Rabbits Out of the Garden

Rosebud

Rosebud

Farm Hand
I love rabbits, but I'd like to keep them out of my garden this year. How can I effectively keep them out without causing them any harm? Last year, this was a real problem for me.

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
One of the most basic ways to protect your garden from rabbits is to build a fence around it. It has to be at least two feet high, though, because otherwise rabbits can just jump right over it. You'll also need to bury the fence at least six inches underground or rabbits can burrow their way underneath. It's a big project, but this will help keep your garden safe for years to come.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Not sure how effective it is for rabbits but I was recently told by a Master Gardner that having a motion activated water sprinkler chases away most wild animals.

I have not yet had the chance to try this.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
Another way to deter them is by using spicy home-made materials though it may take time to figure out what works. Utilize repellents made from garlic cloves, water, and dish soap or spray the plants with raw eggs. The most effective method is building a rabbit-proof fence.

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
You could try planting in raised beds. I hear that rabbits don't tend to bother those as much. Or try sprinkling predator urine around your garden to deter them.