Largest Distribution Challenge?

NHFARMERCBH

NHFARMERCBH

Hello All,

I own a small farm in New Hampshire. Happy to stumble upon this site.

I also work with local farms in getting their product sold directly to local grocers and restaurants... cutting out the middle men in between.

I was curious if folks from all over the country would share what their challenges are with getting product distributed?

Do you have a strategy to go after local business?
Do you have a salesman for your produce or livestock?
Would you consider distributing your own products locally if you had a customer base?

As a hobby farmer... I feel like we are left out of the loop! There is no tech that helps me get my product to my local market where I can sell it at a higher price, rather than to another larger farm or distributor. I would rather sell my heritage pork for $5/lb locally than have someone come and take it all for $2.50/lb.

Am I missing something? I cant seem to find a solution for us that doesn't involve 5 middlemen to take their cut.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I sell directly at the farmers market and through a CSA. Have you tried selling through either of those? I'm not sure what your local laws are, but set up a website and see if you can get your name out there. You can spin it as saving the customer money if they buy directly from you.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Hey there, @NHFARMERCBH. We used to have a member here who sold cattle at a premium, directly to the consumer. I can't remember the name (can you tell I'm getting old) but the member would let the customer come out to the ranch and pick out a cow. It seemed like a success from what I remember. Maybe you could try something like that. I think the CSA idea can be a good one too. I hope you'll stick around. This is a great community for when you need support and suggestions.