Combines losing power on 2388

St

Had the same thing happen on my 2004 2388. I would be going along great, almost 5 mph in 200+ corn with an 8 row head, and all of a sudden, lose power. First I changed the filters, then I checked the water separator filter, and it was only half full of fuel (air in rest of filter). Drained the tank, thinking there was something blocking the draw tube, but didn't find anything. Still having occasional problems. I hope someone has some ideas.

dave

We have a 1688 that we were having power loss problems with too. We replaced air filters first then found that the electric fuel pump was starved for fuel. It turned out that the water separator filter needed to be replaced. I've also heard of the vent tube on the fuel filler neck being blocked which causes a vacuum in the tank. Try blowing it out with compressed air.

big_orange

Does it have the QSC(electronic) 8.3IJWas having the same problem with my Gleaner,theres an in line filter screen before the lift pump,changed that and even power.It didn't have much on the sreen,but a Cummins mechanic friend told me it doesn't take much.Good luck.

Deadduck

A neighbor's 2388 was losing power and they found that the hand priming pump had a bad diaphram and was allowing air to enter the system. Our 2388 started losing power one day while cutting soybeans. I took off the water separator filter and there was a piece clear plastic in the hole, partially blocking off fuel. looked like some of the plastic the filter came wrapped in. I have no idea how it got in there. It had probably 200 hours on that filter and this was the first problem. After I changed the filter, it evidently got some air in it and ran rough. We purged it several times with the hand pump. It finally cleared up. A friend of mine bought a new 1460 way back when. From day one, it would be running fine then suddenly lose power. Dealer replaced filters, then fuel pump, all to no avail. Finally they removed the fuel tank and found a ping-pong ball with a hole punched in it. It had filled with fuel, so it sank, and every so often would get sucked over the hole in the tank. Dealer found out this wasn't an isolated incident. Seems IH was having trouble with the unions at it's plant and someone had sabotaged the combine. So it could be air or an obstruction. Good luck, and hope you find a solution.

bubs

My 2388 lost power this fall and after all the above mentioned attempts to fix I finally shut the android valve off that is controlled by the waste gate on the turbo. Immediately I have all the power restored and better response also. I may have had a leak in the air line from the waste gate to the android, which is on top of the injector pump. I would check that line first and if an obvious leak is detected just repair and all should be ok. If this is your problem it will be low on power all the time, not intermittant. It takes a couple allan wrenches and a screw driver to shut the valve off. Contact your diesel technician for instructions if you are not familiar. It is not very difficult but not something to do with a hot engine in the field.

ROTORON2388

I might suggest after trying all these things,that you might check the throttle adjustment in the engine compartment.With the engine off and the key removed.place throttle in wide open position.My 2388 operators manuel on page 397 titled throttle adjustment shows this.I have done this on combines that were doggy and seeming underpowered and it sure woke them up providing filters were ok and it could get fuel to the pump.Best wishes and I hope this helps!