Meyer says the WTO rule change process has just begun

notafarmer

Harry Siemens - Steve Meyer of Paragon Economics Des Moines, Iowa wasn?t surprised with the WTO panel?s ruling going in favour of Canada on the Country-of-Origin labelling law released late last month.?I?ve said for a long time, I didn?t think COOL would be favoured by the WTO, so not surprised they ruled against the Americans on it,? says Meyer in an interview immediately following the ruling. ?This is another step along the way, but not culmination of this process by any means.
Meyer says the United States on WTO issues have pretty-much a running policy they appeal these kinds of rulings, thinks they will appeal this one too.
?The way I understand it, this could take six to eight months. Then the U.S. will have about a year to rectify the situation before anything can happen,? he says. ?We are a long ways from the end of it, but I?m not surprised.?
While settling some of this through negotiations as Minister Gerry Ritz alluded to in the news conferencing announcing the decisive because of the many allies on this file in the U.S., it may l be hard to do according to Meyer.
?You have many allies in the U.S., and that is a point I make all the time,? he says. ?In my opinion, I think a majority of people in pork industry have opposed to this from the beginning because they know how important trade is for our products. They know that if we start doing these kinds of things, it will hurt us.?

Read more at http://www.siemenssays.com/blog/7106.html