Milk or Beef?

Stocky

Stocky

Farm Hand
Raising cattle has its challenges when you have limited space available to place them. What's more, is that a single breed won't produce both the best milk and beef. Is raising dairy cows better than beef farming in general?

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
Great question! I'm a grape farmer but I too wondered about this. If I was going to be a cattle farmer, I would raise beef. I wonder which one gives the most profit.

Stocky

Stocky

Farm Hand
@Gordyg It may be cheaper to raise beef cattle because their diet is less complicated compared to dairy cattle. In that way, it could be the more profitable breed. It's no doubt that tending to a various breed of cattle will be financially challenging.

Last edited:

MartyR

Farm Hand
I think it is less expensive to raise beef cattle. They won't require all the specialized equipment that you'd need to start a dairy operation.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
Too many dairy farmers have gone out of operation over the past decade for me to consider raising dairy cows. Milk prices are low and feed prices are high. You'd need a plan for the males, because it's too expensive to keep them on since they don't produce milk.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Milk goats are an excellent choice if you're talking about producing milk for your own use. You can do a lot with goat's milk! Plus, many people with sensitivities to dairy can drink goat's milk without a hassle because it's easier to digest. So if you're taking the dairy route, don't overlook goats as an alternative to dairy cows.