Combines N6 head

PETE

Gee Dad, give the poor kid a break. As I always say when I let one of my kids drive, "what could possibly go wrongIJ"......It doesn't take long and I have the answer to my question and it usually involves a trip to the dealer for parts. Murphy's law to the max.

Dan

I wouldn't worry about flighting if it is 90 degrees to tube. It would be nearly imposible to bend flighting neatly. Channel iron will do the trick for you. Raise auger up all the way and locate a row of rivets that run the length of header just ahead of the present most forward stripper. Shear these rivets off from side of feeder opening area to the side of header. Get yourself some 1_2X1 1_2 channel iron and lay under auger to eyeball and mark channel iron for mounting holes. Get yourself some of those 5_16 torques head bolts that are used to hold filler inbetween head and feeder. Them bolts are self taping and will thread right into old rivet holes. lower auger back down and save enough clearance so unevenly warmed auger will not strike it. If you should ever get in the condition where you still have material coming over I would add another channel ahead of that one. If you should ever get up to speed enough so you are flaging or leaveing poor cut just ahead of auger fingers just let me know. Maybe can't get this head to work as well as 7 or 800 head but we'll get you close. Good luck.

flipd

thanks Dan for your reply. should i run it from the side of header all the way to feeder house openingIJ is this the reason for angled flighting on new headersIJ

flipd

the kid is 14. can run a G alright. if he could pull the unloading auger lever tight he wouldve been running it a couple years ago. need a good man on cart with n6, thougt he'd be happy with air. swamp cooler on G aint all that. kid knows this computer better than me since he was about 10. types with all fingers too. think i know little more about combines than him yet, for awhile. pa had me running a SP168 MM at his age. had 2 SPs and a SR, kept dad busy. been running 3 Gs for last few years with brothers and nepews, been keeping me busy. hope with N6 to stay on combine, not just chase and fix.

Dan

I would start with channel within a couple feet of the sides or whatever works out the best for securing. The first channels I put on were 4 foot pieces that were accually the channel bars from l2 concave. I fastened one on each side of feeder opening and it helped a bunch. It seems that the closer to feeder opening the straw gets the more overloaded the strippers get and then it flies over the top. Channel iron won't cost you that much and would be very little extra work to just run it out within a couple feet from sides. Be sure to adjust filler inbetween header and feeder to fill gap and bump it down if needed to get a nice smooth transition into feeder. Tipped flighting would help you slightly but nothing like channels. Have a good day.

WannaDriveCombine

ok ok dad i'll wait a few years to drive the n6 but i'd rather run the grain cart over a G any day. but if i am stuck running a G too long your going in a home