Needing a New Barn Cat

Melvin

Melvin

Farm Hand
My diabetic cat has taken to living indoors rather well. I honestly worried it might be a harder adjustment on him than it seems to be.

I would love another barn cat, though. My old guy used to do an amazing job of keeping the mice away. I'm going to look around and see if any of our local rescues or shelters have barn cat programs. Do you all have any suggestions on where else I might find a good barn cat?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Sounds like you have it covered. All of my barn cats have come from local shelters. Each time they set me up with cats or kittens that they felt would prefer being barn cats rather than living inside. And eventually, all of my barn cats end up becoming house cats and then we get more barn cats. Barn cats definitely keep rodents down, as long as you feed them. They can't survive on the rodents they catch. In fact, they will do better if they kill the rodents but don't eat them. None of my barn cats ate rodents, to my knowledge, but they present me with their bodies as presents, and I praise them and give them treats.

Andrew T

Andrew T

Farm Hand
It would be great if you can adopt from a local shelter or rescue! I have done that before. I've also had a couple of stray kitties find their way to my farm, and they were great barn cats, too.