New Rules for SNAP

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
Have you all heard about the new rules for SNAP (food stamps) the USDA approved? It's going to cut hundreds of thousands of people off and millions of children will no longer qualify for free school lunches. Some of these kids only get to eat once a day with the free school lunch program. I don't think these new rules are a good thing. Nobody should have to go hungry because they can't afford food.

I understand it is important for our government to try and cut costs, but I don't think cutting food or medical programs are the way to go about it. We need to address the underlying issues, such as employers not paying enough for an individual or family to reasonably support themselves.

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
I agree, keep the kids out of this. It's not like they can get a job and feed themselves. This just comes across as heartless and not well thought out.

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I agree. Nobody should have to go hungry, especially in America, a country of abundance. So much food is wasted in this country that could easily feed everyone. I don't understand why we can't fix hunger in our country.

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
This is definitely not right. We regularly give excess produce from our own personal garden to food banks to help those who need it. When we first started out, we needed to go to food banks occasionally because we just weren't making enough to make ends meet. So, we can definitely relate to what many families are facing right now.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
It really saddens me and it's happening at a horrible time too. Some landlords around here won't let their tenants have a garden because they believe it's an eyesore and that it lowers the property value. That takes away a great resource the tenants could use to supplement their pantry.

Andrew T

Andrew T

Farm Hand
It isn't right that the kids have to suffer. I understand that the SNAP program is supposed to be temporary to help people get back to work, but a lot of people who work cannot even make ends meet. I don't think this is the best way to help people.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I have not heard of this or done any research. I don't think that punishing kids is the answer. I do think that people should have to work to be eligible for benefits. Kids however should not be affected.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
Oh no... that's sad! I have not heard anything about this either. I'm not impressed though, from just reading this. Don't cut food!