Combines Palouse custom cutter I have a couple of questions

• Thread starter Palouse_Custom_Cutter
  • Start date

Palouse_Custom_Cutter

Bob : yes we still use a lot of old iron tracks. Some farmers out here retrofit big aftercooled Cat 3406 400 hp into D6-C and D7 crawlers. They are nothing but impressive. You can pull as wide of implement as you want and go anywhere at 5 mph. Of course we are now seeing a lot more rubber tracks than before. However I use a 350hp Steiger on all my hills. It does just fine with duals. I feel more stable on steep ground with it than most hillside combines. Our ground gets hard so come hearvest time our biggewst scare is sliding sideways of a hill on the slick straw. There are just a handful of the Knutson leveling tractors that I have seen around here. One fellow uses them on slopes in excess of 60%. He pulls an 18 foot Yielder drill (mounted on challenger tracks) with a Knutson with triples. What a sight! I hope this answers your questions.

Bob

Thanks I would like to see the Knudson level on that 60% slope. Man that would be steep. I've got some back sides of terraces that will run 18% and I think there steep. thanks alot again

hank

He sounds like the guy I cut with for a few days back in 96. I have a video of 5 combines cutting on his place. 2 9632s, 2 1470s and I think a 2188 with a 28% hillco leveler.

Bob

Palouse custom cutter or Hank. With the Racho or Hillco leveling systems do you run dauls on your combines or singlesIJ Does the wheat still turn out as good as it use toIJ I remember back when I was a kid back in the 40's and early 50's I would here storys that wheat out Washington would make 50 to 80 bushels a acre back then.

Palouse_Custom_Cutter

My old 9632 leveled to 45% and ran 35.5 x 32 front tires. The tires leveled with the machine on it. The new levelers Rahco 32% and Hillco 27% both run duals since the tires do not level with the machine.

hank

wheat averages vary depending on rainfall. around the middle part of the state, summerfollow might be only 35-45. here around colfax_pullman, it can be over 100 bu. around pullman wheat is on pea, lentil, or on spring wheat ground. we even raise some on barley ground. what kind of averages do you have where you areIJ

Bob

I'm here in northwest Mo. I haven't raised wheat for twenty or so years Just corn and beans, I've had two sidehill combines a 6600 back in the 70's and early 80's and a 6620 sidehill combine 87 model with I still have. back to the wheat, I have heard with the new wheats out some who raise a little wheat have had 60 to 80 bushel wheat last year. I have never raised that good of wheat mine was more like 30 to 50 bushel depending on the year. Thanks alot for your info.