Preventing Windows from Freezing Shut?

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
Every year we go through this in the wintertime, and it's always worried me. Our windows freeze shut on particularly cold days. If a fire were to break out in our home or we needed to get out quickly for some other reason, frozen shut windows could pose a real safety hazard.

Ideally we'd install storm windows, but our budget just doesn't allow for it right now. So, how can we prevent our windows from freezing shut on especially cold days?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Can you apply some winter weather stripping or what about caulking around the windows, would that help? I use WD-40 on my car doors to keep them from freezing. Maybe that will work on your windows too.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Farm Hand
This may not be a great long-term solution, but it might help you get through the rest of this winter. Try to keep condensation low. Try not to keep any hot water sitting in a bathtub or sink for long periods of time. Try to keep your thermostat at a lower setting and wear long sleeves or an extra layer in the house.

De-icing spray may also be useful. You can use this on the outside of the window where it opens. However, as you probably know, de-icer doesn't last very long, so you'll have to reapply it often.