Combines question

Ken

I heard a rumour once that the difference is that one has straw walkers and the other uses a series of seven cylinders to separate the straw. I am also curious if this is a correct understanding.

col

thats right the commander is a rotary of sorts that uses a conventional drum for threshing then more toothed drums to seperate the grain from the straw. it takes a lot of power to do this and smashes the straw to bits if dry and also no good in wet conditions we have a 114CS (cylinder seperation) as a spare 'cos it's not worth anything secondhand. Also before the 480 lexion was made the 228CS was the biggest combine in the world.

Ken

No good in wet conditionsIJ I thought this was the plus feature of the Commander. How "no good" is itIJ

col

Don't know about clover or timothy as we don't grow much of that in scotland, although I'm sure somebody will. In the sort of wet conditions we get here (Scotland) rotaries are not up to much and walkers make a better job of fluffing up the straw and separating out the grain (up to 35%MC most years) also walker combines are worth more secondhand as they are better suited to the farms that they move onto. Although I will admit that the CTS does look nice and compact. We have just bought 2 lexion 460's for our 3500 acres, we would have liked to go for a 480 but in Britain it's really only capable of 2000acres per year.

tbran

that would be Ertyl or Spec Cast... seriously, I would say the R42 would be the SMAllEST in size, but with a few tweaks....Deeres small entry didn't last long, the small IH didn't make the team,,, help me out guys. Don't think much about the wee ones. This is domestic. Dronnenburg (spIJ) builds a plot combine, tiny thing. I'm sure there are others. As posted previously the bean counters go crazy with small combines. They take just as long to make, less than 10 grand difference in sheetmetal and tires and less than 5 grand in engines (exception is the M11) soooo they don't make a penny on the R42 - got to figure in all those intangables - advertising - sales programs - engineering - insurance - testing - salaries of service, sales guys - caravan- phones - insurance - legal fees - insurance workmans comp - freight - insurance (even the self insurance is biggg bucks) benefits for workers.....the list is endless. The cash flow is good but the bottom line is thin. Especially in times like these. It is a good time to buy however, lets make a deal time.

Tom_Russell

The same is true with cars and pickup trucks. The pint-size ones cost almost as much as the real ones but the buying public has a false impression that small is a great deal cheaper. So they buy little cars without even pricing big ones thinking they are getting a good deal. Farmers are more astute when it comes to buying combines. Tom in MN

John

Back about 89 or so, I got a brochure showing a small MF combine still being made which looked to be the size of an F2 I'd guess. I know JD offered that one oddity soon after the 9000 series was introduced which was a 4 row combine, but I doubt it went anywhere. CaseIH had the 1620 which I think is actually smaller than an R42 but they didn't sell very many of the 1640's, let alone the 1620. I think it's safe to say the R42 is the smallest American made combine at the moment. An interesting side note; back when the N series came out, AC seemed to be telling people that they would build smaller versions of them, like down to the size of an F2 and C2, and maybe even an K2. Did anyone else ever hear thisIJ

statboy44

The smallest combine in production now has to be a Case IH 2344. The Deere 9450 is just as large as the mid sized Case IH 2366.

Gman

R62_72,from wheat to corn; Change heads,unlock vari-speed header drive,turn blocks on feeder chains,drop straw chopper knives,put chopper in low speed,put spreader in low speed,adjust concave,shift rotor gearbox to low speed,adjust rotor speed,change to corn chaffer (optional to some). lets see did I miss anythingIJ If you have done it before I'll say 2 hours or less and still have time to refuel and grease. Whats this red and green thing about less than a WEEKIJ I don't think it gets any easier than this.