Combines R50 bin loader and distribution auger

Tom

Hey Charlie, Welcome. You are now an official member of this board. Those extra posts will disappear as if by magic in a couple of days. The service manual contains numerous references that could be interpreted both ways and it always seems they show up when a guy is in a hurry and there is no time to holler for help. I recall those u-joint threads are right hand so you want to turn the unloading end in the direction of travel or counterclockwise when looking at it from the left side of the machine. Put a big pipe wrench on it and rap the end of the wrench with a brass mallet or wooden log. The u-joint will more than likely be junk anyway and prudence says to replace it now when you have it apart. I am not familiar with an R50 so I cant address the rest of your question. Tom Russell

Ed

Counterclockwise when you are standing in the bin facing elevator with the discharge end of the auger in your hands. I've had mine out several times to replace the auger flighting.

marv

I just did this shaft before harvest. The u-joint does unscrew from the shaft. The direction is opposite the way the auger turns. I applied a little heat and it came apart real easy. I think the direction of the threads is the same as a common bolt. You will want to take that end plate off first. I assume you have the top of the elevator off for access to the right hand bearing. It isn't as hard as it looks. Good luck.

Dave

I have had the bin auger out of my R52 several times and like you say, it can be tight. Persevere, it is a right hand thread. Re; replacing auger flighting. last year our soys (for seed) were combined at 10% and cracking was a problem. After harvest I replaced the flighting at a cost of only $60 instead of more than $300 for the replacement auger from Gleaner, and this year, even though the beans were just as dry, no cracked seed coats.