Combines R50 chopper or impellerIJIJ

T__langan

We have an impeller also - and do soybeans with it too. We have never plowed our bean ground, we no-til the corn into the bean stubble the following spring. After wintering, the bean straw is very dry and brittle and the planter has no trouble at all with it. As for your plugging, do you have the serrated edge outIJ If so, it might be wrapping. Try turning the blades around so the flat edge is facing out. If the flat edge is already out, make sure it is nice and square, not rounded off from wear. It will have better "bite" and it shouldn't plug then. We've never plugged our discharge. Good luck-

Dan

Ed, For the most part all machines have choppers around here. The ones without choppers soon found out they needed them when the conditions got damp. I didn't realize that earlier machines did not have a clean out door for later machines have one toward the front and rear of chopper or impeller. My experience with impeller is with flat side out it may not pull material away from rotor especially if dull edge is leeding. We had a R62 that was upgraded nicely and would not preform so we flipped the beater paddles so serrated edge was out and the machine let loose like we had learned to expect. Another guy this fall with nicely upgraded R62 had the beater light come on when he tried to push it in his 90+ bu. wheat. The machine was a real dog for two reasons. No.1 the discharge beater would not take away all the straw which loaded cylinder and slowed and or stopped the impellor. He needed to turn the blades to get serrated out. No.2 the engine was not developing full power because when he pumped fuel hand pump he could not feel and or hear the charge presure relief valve let loose at the main pump. I'm unsure if he found junk in hand pump check valve or if the check valve was faulty and I have seen both. Problem was so bad in hand pump that he could not get it primed up after changing filters without pumping air into fuel tank. Now back to choppers. The only time I remember plugging them is in very very green soybeans. We had to lower chopper concave out of register to get them threw. The next year we made up some chopper concave knifes from quick cut sickle sections and never plugged again but then again that was a whole new year. I don't know price of new chopper kit but you should expect to pay about 1_2 if you can find used. Choppers will allways chop it up a lot better than beater but maybe not as much as you would like in the toughest straw. I'm unsure if chopper can be run in slow speed for anything other than corn in case you wanted to do some bailing. Too bad you didn't want a take out or used impeller kit for I have a bunch of them. If you find any used choppers for the newer machines please let me know. Good luck. Dan

Ed

Thanks Dan and Tom, My impeller has new tips with the serrated edge out.