Combines R62 chopper problem

Dan

Dusty, Have never sharpened hammers but often though of tring that. We have installed lots of sickle knifes in place of standard knifes with mixed results. Seems like when it is tough enough so chopper don't work the best the other colors are having trouble also but that should stop us from tring to make ours better. I did talk to someone somewhere that had incorporated some sort of knife onto his rotor and or cage and it worked well for chopping and I hope I come accross that in my notes someday. I would install the sharpened sickle knifes to base of old knife and try it. If that don't cut it get a couple inch larger pulley for ujoint shaft and a longer belt. Swing out shield will have to be moded a bit for larger pulley. If hammers are folding back like you suspect the added centrifical force may just keep them out and help a bunch. let me know what you find out. Any other ideas out thereIJ Dan

t_leslie

i have thought about installing a couple sharp stationay blades that would stand in between the rotary knives. we have this set up on some shreddars and works good for cutting down cotton stalks