Combines R70 Air Filter Problems

Dan

Do you have factory installed 12" or field installed 14" air cleanerIJ What exactly have you done to try correct problemIJ Plumb in a clear plastic hose to the end of hose that goes to exhaust pipe. Put the end of hose in a bucket of water and start her up. Give her full RPM and see how far water raises in tube. Now check the other hose. Is filter accually plugging or is sender goofed. I'll be looking for your reply. Dan

tbran

and have you checked to make SURE the area under the swirly things and the trumpet bells below is clean and not packed fullIJIf this area is not clean it won't pull the dirt out. It is a bear to clean. Another way we have found to check the unit is to crank the engine at full rpm and take the asp. hose off - there should be a good flow of air OUT of the asp. hole. If you put some fine dust in the top it should expell it out of the sucker hole...EVEN WITHOUT THE ASP TUBE CONNECTED! Just did this yesterday.

t_leslie

we have seen this also, i am of the opinion of the "swirly" things being clogged,but do not ignor the asiprator {usually built in to the exhaust pipe} it could be in the early stages of going south on you. they are kinda expensive but the have been know to go out, also are the funnels around your "swirly things" meltedIJ if so you may need to replase both the aspirator and the "swirly thing assy" hold on to your check book that will run $600.00 plus but thats cheaper than it use to be agco has dropped the price about $100.00 on the "swirly housing assy" in the last year......good luck

gilligan

Thanks for your response Dan Will have to check on the size of filter(12 or 14 inch)-is that size of actual filter or housingIJ As far as what I have done: both hoses have been replaced with rubber instead of the "bendy" metal ones(one on old N5 was this type and never had problem),pulled the swirly thing off the top of housing and flushed with water-water flowed thru with no blockage present--did notice that one of bottom funnels had melted,do think that sensor may be a little sensitive but filter is definitely stopping up-during wheat harvest on second or third day of operating machine loss of power was very evident, I thought it might have been fuel filter so changed it first then checked air filter and it was packed. Ever since I have been blowing out at least every other day-seem to not get as dirty with corn- not as much dust but lite continues to come on especially when running at max power. The fitting on the back exhaust aspirator looks like it has been rewelded to exhaust pipe, I'll try the water thing to see if they are pulling anything. By the way will the aspirators on the Deutz motor set the air cleaner on fire if they wear out_fall apartinside_etcIJ We had a fire on N5 once due to that. Also, what causes funnels to melt on bottom of swirly thingIJ

gilligan

I flushed the swirly thing out with water and there did not appear to be any blockage-water flowed thru easily. Just so I understand-sorry to be so dense- you took the hoses of at the air filter housing and the housing itself pulled the dust offIJ

Dan

I was afraid you would ask what makes it a 12" or 14". I just know by looking at housing if it is the bigger one it is 14". I'm sure it is the diameter of filter. Maybe just count the number of swirly things and let me know. Asperator must be dunked in water and then use presure washer to force water threw swirly things when still dunked. Do the water test for I don't like the sound of welding on exhaust pipe. I would have welding shop add a second barb to asperator bundle so you can connect each hose to one instead of hooking them to a tee. I have never seen exhaust asperator go bad on a Deutz but I have seen melted asperator bundles. Bundles melted because prescreen on top of engine hood plugged up with chaff and caused engine to pull hot exhaust in from exhaust pipe. Install large prescreen on roof to help eliminate future problem. Make sure that you have a good dirt tight seal in between asperator bundle and air filter housing. One slightly melted funnel wouldn't bother me. I have never seen a air filter burn up because of asperator getting hot but what a scary thought. let us know what you find. Dan

tbran

yup it will at high rpm. You should notice a feelable output of air from the suction outlet. The suction is for the volume of trash that comes through and big pieces. One piece out will cut efficiency by no. of pieces out divided into total. One could possibly remove a piece from a damaged unit that still had some good ones in itIJIJ I don't know. If one knew an insider at the plant where the asp, was made he could get ya some I bet. Anybody have time to tryIJ We had a top stop up on the inlet screen last week and it burnt out an asp. precleaner on a 52. You can't believe how dusty it is here. less than 1_2 " rain in bout 80 days.... rank tuff beans - 18 bu _ a. oh well I've depressed myself- back to work..