SEEDING REPORTS/FREE DRAW: ?Optimism abounds!?

aginfo

Planting of fruit crops has just finished south of Yorkton. Even with the good drying days, the ground is holding a great deal of moisture. We hope to plant potatoes late next week if the warm, sunny weather holds. ? Yorkton, Sask., May 16

Planted my corn on April 24. Ground temperature was a little cold still at this time, but all the magazines I read said to get your corn in as soon as the ground was ready. The neighbour said "You?re crazy, the ground?s too cold." Planted corn needs to be in 50 F dirt to germinate; my ground was at 46 F. Corn is up, looking good; took full two weeks to come up. Beans are now planted too; did them today, May 15. We try to plant early to get the full-season growth for the plants. Last year we planted between rains and got lucky; this year, we?ve been drier this spring. This is all I have; no winter wheat this year. Around my farm there are still empty fields, but it won?t be long; as long as the rains hold off the farmers are hard at it. I figure in another week all the fields in my area will be done. ? Merlin, Ont., May 15

We started seeding barley Saturday, May 12 only because (name withheld) had decided to cultivate the field to dry it out a bit before putting the air seeder in it. It is going well. We just pray that the rain forecasted stays away. -- Kelvington, Sask., May 15

Seeding has gone very well here (and) we are down to our last 10 per cent: a half section of canola and a half of soybeans. Conditions are very good to excellent, especially compared to last year. Fencepost to fencepost seeding! Optimism abounds! -- Brandon, Man., May 15

We started April 24 in excellent conditions, completing our peas and half of our durum by early May. We were then shut down by about three inches of rain over a week or so. We started again on Saturday and now have 5,500 acres in, a little over 50 per cent. Field conditions are very wet but are drying quickly. We have winter wheat, malt barley, peas, most of our durum and some canola in. Given the weekend forecast, we are going as hard as we can. More rain could cause many acres to go unseeded. ? Fillmore, Sask., May 15

More at http://www.agcanada.com/daily/seeding-reportsfree-draw-optimism-abounds/