Self-sharpening blades

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I'm looking for a chainsaw and while searching online it sort of spun me off into the world of self-sharpening blades for saws, reel mowers, and many other things. Yes, I googled it, so I get the gist of how it works, but what I'd like to know is how efficient it is over time? Do those blades work more effectively on some cutting tools, but should be avoided on others? While it sounds awesome, I wonder if self-sharpening blades are just another gimmick that provide little practical use. I'd love to replace the ones on our mowers if self-sharpening blades actually work.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Friend purchase self sharpener for his chain saw like the on offer on youtube said it was okay if your cutting small stuff or dry clean wood,other than that you still have file the chain rakers and keep angle and pitch true.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
They don’t sound convincing to me honestly. I didn’t get myself any personally but all reviews I heard are not very positive. they seem to be only good for simple stuff. But I like to learn more about it though, maybe it’s just my bias.