Shipping container grain storage

farmer sam rocks

Hi,
I had this brain pop that grain could be stored in a used shipping container (the kind they use on ships). I crunched some numbers and a used 40ft. long container would cost $1.14 per bushel. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this idea or has any good tips to put this idea into affect.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
Wal-Mart uses containers that resemble what you're talking about for their Christmas inventory overflow. (I'm sorry, that was my first thought)

Is there a problem with the storage they have now? Or are you simply thinking of more cost effective options?

jjp8182

Farm Hand
The three challenges that come to my mind are getting the proper ventilation, getting it suitably cleaned out (depending on what was originally shipped in it) and keeping the bottom sufficiently sealed as (from my understanding) they typically have wood plank floors running over a few steel crossties.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
The trouble with using a shipping container is that whenever you fill it, the grain at the bottom get covered up and will get pretty funky. A tower shaped grain bin is filled from the top and you take the grain out of the bottom. How do you make sure you don't have old grain in the shipping container, unless you totally empty every bit of grain until you refill it?