Combines Should R62 or R52 be fazed outIJ

lbran

Good point. There are really two models in the Gleaner line up. Class five and seven models. You can take a 42 and make it a 52, peformance wize. You can't however make the 62 into the 72, without tinkering w_fuel too much. That M11 is just too awesome, except for the V-8 Deutz. I for one would love to have that Deutz back, basically for the fuel efficency.

T__langan

I see your point, I feel your pain, er shut up Tom!! I think the R42's should be discontinued, if any. I really don't see hardly ANY 42's advertised anywhere anymore and I live in an area where class VI and VII combines are fairly rare (Class VII is nonexistant. Have only seen pictures!). Getting to be a few more class VI though. We just traded an R50 for a 52 - the 50 being quite close to what a current 42 is and we were, at times, wishing for mo' power. Most corn is 6-30 and have seen an R62 with a 6 row head and the guy was FlYING and pacer was pegged on faster. Can't really do a good job at the head at those speeds - even have to cruise with a 50_52 at times. So eliminate the 62 thenIJ No, 'cause the guys in the hills like them better than the 52's due to the super wide shoe. They claim a 62 in sidehills around here will perform about the same as a 52 on the flat. I say keep the 52, 62, and the sweet mother of the harvest, the 72 and get rid of the 42. In the future, perhaps make class V thru VII same basic machines like the "N" series were to improve parts commonalityIJ Just my $.02 and that's usually All it's worth!

John

I agree on the Deutz motor. I love standing behind our R70 when idle just listening to it purr right along. lot better than our N6 sounds.

Tom

They have quit making under 25' rigid heads but still have flex 800 series in 15', 16', 18', 20', 22', 25', and 30'. I can't understand how anyone could need a 15, 16 or 18 even with an R42 with proper enhancements. So just use the 800 flex if you need smaller than 25'.....Tom

T__langan

Tom - You're right, the under 20' heads are too small for today's Gleaners. But we just traded two old 300 series heads for an 800 series 15'. WhyIJ Because there are too many places around these parts where you just can't get a 18' or larger head thru without taking it off the combine. A large field around here is only 30-40 acres with the average being 10 - 12 acres at most. Imagine having to put the head on in the field to harvest 8-10 acres, taking it off to get down a farm lane with 16' of clearance between fences to the next 15 acre field and having to remount the head. One guy I know around here with a JD 9600 has a 20' head - he's the only one. We couldn't even get a 16' thru most of the gates on our farm without doing a lOT of refencing. Maybe someday we'll doze all the old 100+ yr old fences around here....... Tom l.

T__langan

Well, I disagree wholeheartedly that the 9000 combines from JD are a copy of any new series of conventional Gleaner had in mind. Gleaner would have never designed a combine as complicated and as poor performing as the 9000's. It was just discussed on Successful Farming's Machinery Talk a week or two ago that walker loss is a result of putting grain on the walkers like Deere. Gleaner conventionals never put grain on the walkers with the raddle chain separator. As for the conventional design being possibly superior - let's just wait to see what happens when Deere releases it's rotary this fall and the next few years to come. I'd be willing to bet their conventional sales drop drasticly and their resale value will go down the tubes too. Tom l.

Dan

No no never never uh uh uh. They better never take the rotary away unless they can give me over 20 years of my life back for that is how far backwards we would be going. Yes the Gleaner conventional of today shares some benifits of the rotary but it still has straw walkers and beaters. They should keep all the models unless the demand has cut right off on one or the other models. The small and large rotary share enough parts where it can't cost to much to keep them in the lineup. My bet is there will be a larger rotary coming with inovations that I can only dream about and I bet they will do it with out increasing overall size by much. Have a rotary good day. Dan