Combines spike tooth or rasp barIJ

tbran

No!!!!!!!! Get or reman a set of good rasp bars and concave bars.

Bigjoe

I'm looking at 2 nice clean combines (G and l)- both are spike tooth. Is it reasonable to convertIJ

tbran

Yes, they can be converted. A good cyl can be picked up at salvadge yards for less than $400 usually for either. You will need the Front doors on both and in the case of the l you will need the front concave conversion grate as well. I have run the spike plate in the rear door on l's and M's with the spikes removed and I can't say that I really noticed any problems. The correct way however is to get the front grate kit if possible. I would get the bars wide spaced as well. Read 'bout this in posts way below if you are not familiar with wide spaced bars.

John_W

What kind of small seeded grassIJ Is the straw damp or tough. There are some situations where the spike tooth will do a better job with less hassle. Even those silly people that write Gleaner operators manuals recommend spikes for some grasses, small legume seeds and when you have to deal with tough damp straw or green weeds. You might want to try the spike tooth cylinder before you go to the trouble and expense of switching to rasp bars.

BigJoe

Bahia grass is what we are running, and it is usually pretty dry and standing good when we combine. It is about the same size as Johnson grass seed.