Combines Stripper in wheat

rotor_man

last year I ran a 24 ft CX72 in wheat on my little underpowered 195IJ hp 1480 IH In badly lodged wheat I could only run 5 mph because i had to run very deep in the straw to get the heads and any faster would overload the header drive.

Chad

Got a neighbor running one on a 9500 .He runs wide open in second , .He usually makes 60 to 70 bu wheat.

Arkansas_Traveler

I ran a Shelbourne on a 9600 for two years. I never put it on a 9500. I don't cut any wheat under 100 bushel, and most of the yields during those two years were in the 130 range. The stripper generally increased our groundspeed about 25% in standing grain and maybe even a little more in down. I was very pleased with it until I hit about 1000 acres, and pulled into a field of soft white that it literally would not strip clean. The teeth were not worn to an unacceptable level. The company flew a representative in from overseas, and he spent two days trying to fine tune it, with no success. I ended up cutting the rest of that section with regular headers. The next year, I encountered even more fields that it just couldn't quite clean. It seemed that the dryer the crop was, the more difficulty it encountered. I went back to rigid heads on the next two machines. This year, I'm bringing a draper head in on an 9750, and will see how it does. One other consideration. Where I only had the one stripper header, it posed a real problem in tillage operations to cut beside my regular headers. I had to go back and shred the stubble cut with the shelbourne. This probably wouldn't be as much of a factor in lighter yielding areas.

Arkansas_Traveler

I ran a Shelbourne on a 9600 for two years. I never put it on the 9500. I don't cut any wheat under 100 bushel, and most of the yields during those two years were in the 130 range. The stripper generally increased our groundspeed about 25% in standing grain and maybe even a little more in down. I was very pleased with it until I hit about 1000 acres, and pulled into a field of soft white that it literally would not strip clean. The teeth were not worn to an unacceptable level. The company flew a representative in from overseas, and he spent two days trying to fine tune it, with no success. I ended up cutting the rest of that section with regular headers. The next year, I encountered even more fields that it just couldn't quite clean. It seemed that the dryer the crop was, the more difficulty it encountered. I went back to rigid heads on the next two machines. This year, I'm bringing a draper head in on an 9750, and will see how it does. One other consideration. Where I only had the one stripper header, it posed a real problem in tillage operations to cut my regular headers. I had to go back and shred the stubble cut with the shelbourne. This probably wouldn't be as much of a factor in lighter yielding areas.

rotor_man

Good point about tillage in the tall stripper stubble. I failed to mention that we do no tillage and seed into standing stubble with JD 750 no till drills which can handle tall stubble.