Combines STS vs R72IJIJ

Brian

Our John Deere dealer rode with us (in corn) in our R-72 the other day. He has a 9750 out and was telling us how great they were and how much better they had to be over Gleaner. He went on to say that they did have some seperation problems this year in soybeans. He said that in order to seperate they were running their cylinder at 900 rpms. Then he asked how fast we had to run ours. We told him 430-600 depending on the bean variety. He wouldn't believe us. So he aked "how fast is your cylinder running nowIJ" (we were running 6 MPH in 160 b.p.a. corn) My brother said "look at the display" and showed him that we were at 230. My brother said it blew his hair back. He then asked about losses. His certainly had to be better at that than the Gleaner. We then showed him that we were loosing between 1_8 and 1_6 th of a b.p.a.. I have heard from several Deere people that they have been disappointed in how much cracked grain they've had. Well if you have to run 900 rpms in order to seperate I can see why. A friend of my was at Farm Progress show and said that in the grain sample contest it went n1 Gleaner, n2 New Holland, n3 Case-IH, n4 John Deere STS, and n5 Cat. So far can't see any reason to switch from Gleaner.

erb

how did the best compare to the worstIJ Have seen fuel comsumtion figure in a tractor test that when you looked closly there was not much in it. Do they show any figures for how much more the best sample is worth than the worstIJ Worth knowing I guess.

Brian

Good question! I have no idea how signifigant the differences were. I only heard the results second hand. I was even a little worried about posting results in fear that they may be inaccurate. So far no one seems to disput the results. Grain quality is a huge factor for our farm since we raise a large portion of our soybean acres as seed beans. The seed companies we raise for said that by far producers with Gleaner and Case-IH combines have the highest premiums. I would love to see the sigifigance in the differences too!