Combines The 4400 is sputtering

rotor_man

That 6 cyl engine fires every 66.6 degrees. If you had to move the distributor that much either the distributor is not installed correctly( rotor pointed to radiator with timing marks on tdc) or the sparkplug wires are one hole out of phase in the distributor cap. 153624

rotor_man

Sorry Red, I had brain fade on that last post. That engine fires every 120 degrees at the crank_ 60 at the distributor so that line I was feeding you about the timing may be way off.

beet

RED becarefull dad set the old 4400 on fire once trying to find out the same thing .luckily he had a fire extinguisher only a half an hour away. the old girl just simmered awy the size of yiu hat till they were able to get a extinguisher that worked. what a better thanksgiving could you have than dinner with the inlaws and a 4400 that was up and running HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!! OUR TURKEY HAS BEEN ATE AND DIGEST HERE UP NORTH.

The_Red

Thanks. I happened to have a fire extinguisher on site just in case.

The_Red

The distributor was way out of wack because someone had tried to get it started over the last 6 years. The dist. clamp was very loose. The owner admitted that folks had looked at it over the past. Probably a classic case of holding out for a better price at the time. Anyway, the first priority is to get a new wire run from the battery to the fuel pump so I can try to get this engine running. My window of opportunity is quickly closing for this season.