The quality of water

Tia37

Farm Hand
I was thinking of how to improve the quality of water as it just seems like contamination is a problem with fertilisers and stuff. Should I just reduce the fertilisers I use... this is something I’m thinking of. I am not very sure. I’m not always the one taking care of the farm but I have to learn about it more right now for some reasons.

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
The first thing you want to do is find out about the relationship between your water and fertilizers. For starters, recommended usage amounts should be on the bag you buy (If that's how you get it). There are also helpful resources at your local extension office. COntamination is not only bad for the soil, it's bad for the crops that grow out of that soil.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Are you talking about your well water? Make sure you spray any herbicides and fertilizers far away from your well and don't spray uphill from the well since run-off will surely affect it. Heck, run-off from your neighbor's farm could be the problem. You need to get a good filter too. Good luck!

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
Reduce fertilizes, check filters often and make sure that it is far enough away from land that you do fertilize. A lot of states and counties have rules concerning this.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
Oh yeah like what Henderson mentions, you might want to be more careful with your neighbours farm. It’s a problem for me for quite a while before I finally managed to get another well.

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
I assume that you are talking about an underground water source? You may want to use native plants in your landscape since they don't need much water or fertilizer. Also, find a way to dispose of toxic substances (such as motor oil or unused chemicals) appropriately.

Tia37

Farm Hand
Thanks guys! I got a lot insightful suggestions from you guys! I should also consult the locals probably. And yeah it is about the underground water. I wasn’t expecting it involves that many steps with the water, but I will keep learning!