Thrifty pet care tips

Thyme Flies By

Thyme Flies By

Farm Hand
I feel like I spend a small fortune on my pets. Have you found some cost-effective ways to save money while still providing your critters with a good life?

MartyR

Farm Hand
My thrifty tip is to save mismatched socks to make a dog toy. Take one sock, hide some treats inside, tie the end in a knot, then cut small holes out of the sides. Let the dog shake the sock to release the treats. It might take them a minute to work it out, but I've never found a dog that didn't eventually figure it out and enjoy it.

I've wondered whether pet insurance is worth it. Anyone tried it?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I use cheap cat food, like Purina's Cat Chow, as treats. My cats love Temptations, but they're not exactly healthy for them and they cost a ton if you use a lot. Cat Chow is somewhat healthier, and my cats love it almost as much as Temptations. So I made the switch. They still eat their fussy Wellness and wet food, but they get Cat Chow for treats.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
My dogs have been going bonkers for ice cube hockey. I dump some ice cubes on the carport and the dogs chase and bat them around. The ice helps cool them down too.

@MartyR, it wasn't worth it to me because my pets rarely need anything beyond their yearly vaccinations and checkup. Whether it's worth it depends on the pet, the owner's budget, and what the plan offers. Just weigh it all up.