Tier 4 crap

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
I'm going to start some controversy here I'm sure but most everybody I talk to wants nothing to do with the tier 4 final regulations, dpf, and all the computerized emissions the new ag tractors are being forced to install. Add to that the skyrocketing cost of new tractors and I am of the opinion that keeping the pre-tier 4 tractors running is the preference of small farmers. I know they say keep up or get left behind but call me old fashioned, we have fixed almost every issue on our farm and I hate the idea that I've got to call a factory tech out when the little light appears on the dash.

Pecosbill

Pecosbill

Is there any truth to what I’ve heard, that John Deere actively campaigned for this crap?

JDBob

I am with you on this one, not sure if dpf is a real green house help or joke. I have one compact and wish I was using an 8N with hydrostat. Don't have to call a rep though, keep the rpm's up and follow the manual.

ms&r

Farm Hand
You are so right, it's pure junk and forcing the price of older tractors up in value. Because the diesel fuel is now formulated for this crap I add engine motor oil to every fuel fill up on my older stuff and it works wonders for it. My engines have more power, run cooler, and even sound as they did when new. I do not add oil to any common rail or engines that regenerate. No controversy here, it's good to know there is still intelligence out there.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Is there any truth to what I’ve heard, that John Deere actively campaigned for this crap?

I remember that they were touting tier 4 stuff before it was even mandatory so I don't know if they saw the writing on the wall and just tried to get ahead of the curve or what but it makes no sense for a mfg to want to add a bunch of extra cost to engineering and mfg process unless they think it will pay off long term on the back end.

ms&r

Farm Hand
There was a time when you could purchase a new product and feel confident you made the right move, not any more.

Pecosbill

Pecosbill

I remember that they were touting tier 4 stuff before it was even mandatory so I don't know if they saw the writing on the wall and just tried to get ahead of the curve or what but it makes no sense for a mfg to want to add a bunch of extra cost to engineering and mfg process unless they think it will pay off long term on the back end.
I guess it could be that they figure they’ll make $$ every time someone has to call them out for service. Makes that 2040 I’ve been looking at look even better. Totally frivolous though, as I already have two working JD’s.

Bill Stecik

Farm Hand
New engines are great and very fuel efficient . Just get the egr deleted and remove the engine breather filter for winter operation

ms&r

Farm Hand
That don't do anything for the problem made when that radiator hose came loose over a cheap hose clamp and your dealer has to come out and remap the thing because it starts and runs for ten seconds before the engine stops running again. Not to mention that it would require my bath tub to hold my 100 hp engine while you can use the bath room sink to put your so called 100 hp down hill with my tractor pushing that pile of crap.

ChrisT

Jd proprietary computer programs on new tractors- have heard extreme horror stories to that end.