Tractor Not Starting

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
I haven't used my tractor in a few months, but I needed it for something the other day, and it wouldn't start. The engine doesn't even turn over. I don't think the battery is the problem as I replaced it just last year. Do you all have any idea what else might be wrong with it? I'd like to try to fix it myself before I call someone to help me.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Battery could be dead even if you replaced it last year. First charge it up and then report back.

IH tractorman

IH tractorman

Farm Hand
As FarmHand said above, you may have a slow drain like a radio clock that may have discharged the battery , there are lots of things that could be wrong, it would help to know what tractor you have, be sure the cable ends and post are silver color and not coated in lead oxidation (gray color) as power will not pass through it, sometimes it takes more that a wire brush battery cleaner to get it off, if you have the replacement cable ends, they can give issues where the wire is clamped to the end, some have clutch switches, others have neutral switches, start relays. rat damage ect.

Last edited:
Tommy63

Tommy63

Farm Hand
A set of jumper cables will tell you if the battery died

Scatterlandsfarms

Scatterlandsfarms

Farm Hand
Use a test light and see if you have fire leaving the ignition

ch1ch2

ch1ch2

Farm Hand
It will tell you where to concentrate your attention.
Battery and or battery connections.

Let me correct that.
Most of the time.
I once had to use 3 jumper batteries at once.
It needed lots of amps to spin a bad starter motor.

ndncowboy

ndncowboy

Might help if everyone knew the make and model tractor. Whether gas or diesel and carbureted or fuel injected. And even how many years the battery has been in use. That's not only for you but others in the future with problems. Just helps if folks have as much detail as possible. I know this problem is just about getting focused on what the cause of non-start is but it would help in the future.

Last edited: