Treating ringworm in goats

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Two of my goats have ringworm. I've never had livestock with this type of issue, but I'm positive it's ringworm as I've seen it elsewhere. I've isolated those two goats. From what I've found online, ringworm spreads to animals and people alike and quickly at that, so I'm taking as many precautions as I can. I'm not sure where to go from here. The ag store won't be open until Monday as they closed for the holiday. What can I do to fix this in the meantime?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Wear disposable gloves while caring for the goats until the ringworm clears up, so you don't catch it and you don't spread it to your other livestock. Cut the hair back around the lesion, as close to the skin as possible. Scrub the area with some Betadine, let it dry, then apply some antifungal cream. Go through that routine for about two weeks and you should see progress. If it's still spreading, you need to call the vet because it could be a bacterial skin infection instead. I hope it gets better soon.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
I agree with @Henderson, and you can use Nalvasan in place of Betadine, where necessary. Also, apply topical antifungals for up to six weeks and also ensure to disinfect all equipment around that area daily. At times, the use of a systemic antibiotic like Penicillin G is necessary in case the fungus has advanced beyond the skin.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I'd replace all the bedding materials and would sanitize the equipment you've used around the goats such as the milker, watering container, feeding trough, and things like that. Dry up the area if you can since fungus thrives in a damp environment.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Guys, I think we've got it all cleared up, but I'm continuing treatment for a while longer just in case. The fungus hasn't spread any further on those two goats and the spots have healed. Luckily, none of the other goats suffered from the condition and I plan to keep it that way. I really appreciate the advice you guys provided. I don't know what's going on with our livestock lately, but we have had bad luck these past two months. First it was the goats, now it's a bully horse.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
Guys, I think we've got it all cleared up, but I'm continuing treatment for a while longer just in case. The fungus hasn't spread any further on those two goats and the spots have healed. Luckily, none of the other goats suffered from the condition and I plan to keep it that way.
I agree with continuing treatment until everything looks good. It is advisable to isolate the goat and treat early and aggressively. Also disinfect all equipment daily, as well as the area the goats spend a lot of time on.