Combines V S traction drive F2

SD_455

Part number 7 1177947 spring and cam assy is where your problem is. The spring is probably broke. The parts book does not show what is inside of this assembly and when I replaced mine you had to buy it as a unit. Once you have the assembly off the shaft you can look in it to see if the spring is broke. I had to look at four in salvage yards before I found one that the spring was not broke. It is not a hard job to get the assembly out once you get the sheave hub loose and take off the tire. Good luck and have fun.

DP_in_ND

Take your hub off of combine, set it in a press,make a bracket with a flat iron and 4 5_8 nuts to press down on end plate to get the snap ring off , then release the presure on the spring or drill a hole in bracket and use a long ready rod bolt.

sidekick

I see that partn is referring to the "canned" spring so maybe once I get it off I can clean it up and see in there to see what it's all about.Are you saying that the big spring itself breaks.My old A2 just had a simple spring in the can.There must be something extra in these,meaning the "cam".It'll be a while 'for I get to this as the 430 head is getting full blown teardown_rebuild at present in "spare time".Thanks!

SD_455

On mine the spring broke about 5 coils in and the coils threaded themselves together enough that I could take the snap ring off without having to compress the spring. You don't need to take the tire off to work on this but it will give you more room to work. I have 28l-26 on mine.

tbran

all F2's had the torque sensing. The outer hub is keyed to the shaft. The inner sheave is attached to the outer torque cam assy via three pegs and actually floats on the shaft, the outer cam is spring loaded out to tighten the belt somewhat. The spring assy also has an inner cam that splines on the shaft. This unit can be removed as an assy and is generally assumed unrepairable. There is also a snap ring that serves only as a spacer between the outer bearing and the inner cam and splines. When under no load the assy spins together. When placed under load the outer sheave grips the belt but will not entirely pull a heavy load, thus belt slippage tries to occur. The inner sheave as stated floats thus it tries to stop with the belt, as it slows down the cams come into play and the inner sheave and outer cam will have to 'climb' the ramp to really slip. As the outer cam and inner sheave do this climbing proceedure it forces the inner sheave in and thus tightens the belt and in actuallity does not slip due to the cams now being locked together and the inner cam assists power transmission via the splines. We have seen broken springs, but worn sheaves in the hub area, over greasing and grease on the belt, misadjustment (1_8" between the bottom sheaves at slowest speed),worn belts on either side, or even the absence of the snap ring spacer will cause slippage. A clutch that is slipping will prevent the belt from tightening on rare occasions. The number one problem though is the outter bearing on the input shaft has wallowed out the metal at the base of the splines thus allowing the shaft to move a few thousands of an inch rearward thus putting the sheaves out of square with the main clutch shaft. Run the unit at high idle and go from low variable to fastest speed, if you feel an increase in vibration, you gotta problem more than likely.

sidekick

This machine had bearing failure in clutch cover housing just before I got it.Dealer had a machine shop replace outer snout.They put things back together with new brgs and a used shaft.The spring can got sorta distorted but they straightened it up some and put it back on.It wobbles some and I do have some high side vibes but thought it may be from wobbly can.I got an idea there's going to be more than one thing wrong in there.As I remember I could not get down to 1_8 clearance on sheaves.I think loose 3_16 was max.Thanks for all the help guys.

tbran

you have found a problem anyway, the sheaves should snap together . Did they put the snap ring spacer in, that will cause this as well. It is about an eighth inch thick.

sidekick

Don't have a clue what I'm gonna find but don't expect much correct.Be a few months 'for I get to that.