Combines want second machine 750 or 850 60

Adam_Pars

I suggest to bump up to a larger machine. Running one machine that is newer, bigger and more powerful is cheaper than two older machines.

massey

everybody is telling me the same thing but I have a hard time believing that a newer machine will be cheaper or put more dollars in my pocket. I bought the 750 in 1992 for $24,000 CAN. Since then I have put about 7000 acres through it. This year we put 800 through it. In 12 years I've spent less than $8,000 in parts_tires. There is still more life in it. I could pick up a real nice 850 for $15,000 or trade the 750 on whatIJIJIJIJIJ I think my harvest cost per acre is quite low compared to my neighbour running a $100,000 machine on 1000 acres. If I did upgrade to a Massey rotary what series do I look atIJ I guess my other question is how do you think it is cheaper to go newerIJ thanks

Adam_Pars

The one thing about a bigger combine is you are putting less hours on the machine per acre which results in a lower houred machine. Take a look at the 8560's and the 8460's.

sidewinder

If you still want to stick with a massey and cheap capacity look for a grey cab 760 or even better a late model 860 with the v8 540. I was custom combining a few years for a guy when I had a 1980 760 v8 and a 1978 750 with the 372 inline 6 and both of my combines were in his field with his 850 with a turned up 372 and his M2 diesel gleaner and no word of a lie that 760 was doing as much as those other 3 with very very minimal losses in canola and oats. I ran a full length non adjustable airfoil chaffer on all my massey's and it makes a hugh difference in capacity.. and less time setting. I still run that 760 with my 8780 and 7720 and in tough conditions that high interia cylinder cant be beat.. my 8780 will eat some big lumps but the stuff that 760 will eat with just abit of grunt would make my close my eyes with the other 2 combines.. another thing i should mention is when the 750 went threw 40 gallons of fuel the 760 ate about 50 and the 7720's 75 gallon tank was empty.

massey

thanks for the advice. I probably will stick with old iron - whyIJ I'm cheap, plus we alrady know this machine so well I know what to look_listen for. Also, most of our area is either CaseIH or some Deere. The elevator operator says the Massey grain quality is still as good as or better than newer machines.

whitecattlefarmer

where you located at masseyIJ I have a pretty good 750 gray cab with a 20' flex head i may part with after the crops are out this year.

dean

In response to looking for 850, I am considering selling my 850 with 9118 and 1163 heads. I am also in Ontario (Renfrew County)

massey

Thanks for the reply. Could you give me some idea of its conditionIJ What machine would you be moving toIJ In the last few weeks I'm thinking I should be looking at an 8560.

Dean

My 850 is 4 wheel drive with 2900 hours.This past year, I put a new hydrostatic pump on it and overhauled the hydrostatic pump at the same time. This year also added 2 more blades on each paddle set in the feeder table and put 3 more sets of vanes on the rear beater. Both these were done as our beans were badly lodged this year causing wrapping. last year replaced all the straw walkers. Only other major work I did was five years when I purchased combine, I replaced the concave and rasp bars and the milling fan housing. Reason for selling - thinking of trading for a rotary as no longer growing wheat, just beans and corn. When I grew wheat, needed conventional to keep my straw customers happy. I'v combined 400 to 500 acres per year since I bought it.