Combines Was the G as bad as friend says

brassring

We owned a G what a piece of crap!!! yes it threw out as much as went in the tank in the hills as far as the bearings go it wasn't the machine it was allis they used those Jap bearings and they were junk!!!no matter what others tell you they were junk, had bearing failure within a few acres had them crossed over to bca or fafnir and bearing failure went away.go figure biggest problem we had was we broke the steering axle off more times than I can count, was sure glad to get rid of it for a l2 now that was a good machine now that's just my opinion.

DAB

I can't DISAGREE more! I ran 2 G's before I went to rotories and they were little sweetharts. They never broke, and when they did, you could run the rest of the day and fix them the next morning. Can't do that with the rotories! As far as losses, mine had a shoe extention on them so I had no problems. Some times I really miss the simplicity! Just my 2 cents worth. DAB

John

The 2 that were in this neighborhood did not give Gleaner a good name. The G was a widened but not lengthened or strenghtened CII. They both ran GM V8's and loved gas. The bearings and cranks were and annual event on both machines. I had a CII and was needing to enlarge and with the track record of the local G's, I went to an F(slightly smaller than a CII). The F was a great machine and when I changed again the M2 came in, a FIXED G for its size. The M2 ran for several years and as yields increased the shoe capacity ran short. looked for an oversized M, l series and none were to be found and dealer set me up with a late N. The N's were known for problems and both G owners got N's and had less problems with the N's than the G's. From an outside view, the G was a very poor machine for Gleaner. And quickly replaced by the M series.

tbeck

I have had good experiences with the G. My dad bought a new G in '68, and it was the monster of the neighborhood. There were the odd problems, but it had good capacity and ability once you got it figured out. It was retired after 21 harvests.

matt101

I have very Good luck With the G I have 2 that I have run For years One for 20. I have not cut a lot of corn but what I did they did as good as some of the later modle JD in the neighborhood but not as fast. But in beans and wheat they did Good. I have replaced them now with a M2 and a l2 but only because they were getting a little rough and they were both gas . Not because of poor service .They were tough simple combines and I have nothing but good things to say about them.