Water Distribution

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
Does anyone know why we cannot distribute rainwater from flooded areas in the eastern U.S. to the arid, drought stricken areas of the west?

I don't know how many times I have heard of flooding after torrential rains in the east, and the areas that are 10 years into a drought in the west, in the same newscast.

Surely, The Army Cops of Engineers can conjure up something.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
It would be a terrible idea to take floodwater. It's bound to be full of pathogens. I doubt any state would willingly hand over their water, especially not for free since water is a valuable resource. Some of it is privately owned as well. I remember when Georgia went through a tremendous drought and Tennessee wasn't about to let go of what they saw as their resource. The Tennesse-Georgia water dispute is still a big deal today.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
This may be one of those areas where the federal government may actually be useful for the sake of the country as a whole. As simple as it sounds, I think America could function better if water was more evenly available across the nation. The southwestern U.S. has the same issues as the Tennessee/Georgia issue.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
That's a great idea but like Susanna said, it would be full of pathogens. I mean it could be purified I'm sure. I agree that a lot of the water would be on properties that are privately owned.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
This may be one of those areas where the federal government may actually be useful for the sake of the country as a whole.
The federal governments power over water rights is limited though and divided with the state and local government. The division of power is baked into our Constitution so it's hard to change. The government is also unlikely to take water if it will harm a sister state and they'll all argue there's harm. It would be easier to go after the companies that are bottling city water, like Nestle.