What Breed of Goat is Best?

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
We're thinking about getting a couple of goats to add to our farm this Spring. I'd like a goat who is smaller in size. Since we have kids, I'd also really like to find a breed of goat who is friendly and gentle with people. I searched around a little and saw that there are several types of goats. Which type do you think might be a good fit for us?

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
I like Swiss Alpine goats. They are really good for urban farmers because they are small in size. They also have gentle temperaments, so they would probably do well around children. The milk they produce is sweet.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
@Chickadee it really depends on what you want them for - fiber, meat, or milk. Or are these goats just meant to be pets? There are several small breeds to choose from with the temperament you're after, so it really boils down to use.

Garandpa

Garandpa

Dwarf Nigerians are pretty popular as pets. I would definitely recommend at least 2 since goats are herd animals and need a buddy. Also, if you are not interested in breeding, a couple of wethered (neutered) bucks will be the cheapest route and they tend to be pretty mellow.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
We had a few alpine goats for a while. They behaved like you'd expect goats to behave. They ate everything, chewed on random things for no reason but were pretty friendly too. We just had them for fun really so we wound up selling them. But I named them goat, moat, and boat. Never knew which was which.