What to do with Livestock When Needing to Evacuate?

• Thread starter Homestead Hustle
  • Start date
Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
Have you all ever had to evacuate your farm for any reason, like a hurricane? If so, what did you do with your livestock? I was thinking about how we could be more prepared for natural disasters and realized that I have no idea what I'd do in a situation like this.

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
Disaster preparedness, for all animals, is vital, whichever way one looks at it. I guess it starts with having a disaster plan that is regularly updated. Again, evacuation may not always be possible, and at times you can confine large animals to available shelter or leave them out in pastures. Barn fires are very common, and it helps to understand the dangers of fires and how to deal with them.

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
Make sure your insurance policy is up to date. If you have a natural disaster like a tornado and have 50 head of cattle, evacuation is not an option. An insurance policy to cover your losses is though.

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
Trucks and trailers. If you don't have them or enough of them, open the gates and let them do what they have done since the beginning of time.