Women In Agriculture

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
Does anyone think that if there were more women in the agriculture industry that things would be different? Like a change in the numbers of corporate farms for example?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Every reply I come up with seems horribly sexist. I think there would fewer corporate farms because women are less likely to accept the torture of animals and the mistreatment of workers, both of which seem necessary in order to make those operations as profitable as possible. That's just my opinion though.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Most family farms include women. I think fewer farms are started by women because they are less likely to have the resources to do so.
I think there would fewer corporate farms because women are less likely to accept the torture of animals and the mistreatment of workers, both of which seem necessary in order to make those operations as profitable as possible.
What you're describing is a factory farm and I've seen plenty of homesteaders who use tiny cages and such in order to raise chickens for as much profit as possible in the shortest amount of time. It isn't necessarily the size of the operation that matters.