Combines 2366 I m not impressed

Chris

The wear you are seeing seems to be pretty consistent with what I've seen and heard from the owners of several different brands of combines. Also, there's a distinct difference between building equity in something and just keeping ahead of depreciation. As fast as a combine depreciates, you aren't really building equity.

auditor

We have a 1986 1640 with 2800 hrs and we have not had to do half of the things that you mention. I would make sure that you have the mechanic that did the inspection show you each and every one of the things that are worn out. The tins on those augers should not be worn out at 600 hours. I would have a talk with the person who sold me the machine and ask why he sold me a defective machine. The dealership that sold it to you should pick up the bill for half or more of the repairs. No way should a machine that cost that much be worn out at 600 hrs. To me that should still be a new machine. Just my thoughts!

brand

You ceratinly build equity faster with keeping a machine and making loan payments than with trading each year and just paying cash for the difference. In three years when the loan is paid, you have full equity, probably around $50-60,000, where as trading each year keeps equity constant at whatever the difference is between the loan and value of the machine. And the claim from Case-IH is that keeping a machine 5 years is cheaper than trading every year, but I am doubting that given the ridiculous maintenance we are having to do after 600 hours.

Chris

It's true that it's generally a bad idea to trade for a new machine every year. The guys that do that either have to get a lot of hours on, or they burn an insane amount of cash. If you look at depreciation and repairs, the yearly cost of owning a machine doesn't level off until the machine is approximately 4 years old. This means that if you bought a 4 year old machine and kept it, your repairs should increase at about the same rate that your depreciation decreases. If you work with a machine that is less than 4 years old, you are getting the shaft when you try to trade it in. The example you just gave is perfect: A $150,000 machine is only worth $50,000 after three years. You're losing over $30,000 per year in the value of that machine, and you'll have to run that machine for years to reduce the depreciation cost to an acceptable level. This post is probably getting way off topic. Feel free to send me an email if you'd like to discuss it further.

scooter

I run NH and check here to see what you guys say about the merger. I have traded the last four years base machine and 25' flex table for $11-13K each time. I never thought I could do the yearly roll on about 1200 acres of use ( incudes some custom ). It works out about $11 per acre. Also, warrantee machines are prioritized by me dealer if I have a problem. The machine comes with a 2 yr warrantee so the next guy gets 1 year. I doubt if I roll this year. Crops are bad and NH has a new model, which will add to the cost of the roll. It was nice while it lasted.

D

did you buy this machine new, or did you buy it from a used car salesman who turned back the hoursIJ

brand

This past season was our first with this particular combine. I knew who had the machine the first two years, and it has run over a total of 4600 acres since new, so the hours can't be that far off if at all. When I say 600 hours, that's on the separator. I think it's an honest machine that's just a lemon or perhaps Case's quality control has gone to pot.

Chris

Have you heard anything about the warranty on the new NH modelsIJ Will it continue to be a full 2 year, or is it being rolled backIJ

corn_king

I have a 1997 2166 the only thing i had to replace is the elephant ears plus a couple of chains since it was new i had it inspected about a month ago everything looks real good it has 900 hrs. on seperator

Brian

I have a 2166 (1999 model) with almost 700 hrs and have not seen any off the problems you have described. Something sounds fishy to me. Sheet metal does not wear out that fast.