4-H or girl/boy scouts

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
My children have been wanting to join a club. We've been looking at both of these. At first I thought 4-H because they do more with animals (showing them but taking care of). I was told that girls can now join boy scouts. I'm leaning towards that now because the kids learn all kinds of useful things (not just animals and crops). What are your thoughts?

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I like both programs. Our local 4-H program works with us often throughout the year. Our kids are in scouts and 4-H. It's a lot of running but I think it builds great character and teaches them a lot of skills.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
If I had to choose one I would go with scouts. I can teach my children about livestock and crops. I think they do so much more in scouts and learn more "everyday" things.

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
I would do the scouts because their activities are more diverse, and they're bound to interact with a wider pool of people. I'd let the girl join the girl scouts if that's her preference and it wouldn't put the family schedule in a crunch.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
4-H. That is more like getting kids ready for a trade while socializing with their peers. And anymore, I just don't trust the adults in the Scouting organizations.

j_kraut

j_kraut

4-H is much more that crops and ag. I did fishing projects, carpentry projects (made it to Start Fair, which was a big deal when i was 13 years old!),and vegetable/potatoes. My sisters created fashion designs! And now, based on recent conversation i had with a 4-H leader, they are even doing robotics!

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I didn't realize that 4-H did all that. It looks like they've expanded quite a bit. @j_kraut, I remember that feeling! And it IS a big deal to make it that far when you're competing. My grandchild won a blue ribbon at the fair two years ago for her goat. She was tickled to death.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
Wow, I didn't know the 4-H groups did that much either. That is a lot more than I did when I was younger and in the group. I would still go with scouts.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
Well we let the kids decide. One chose scouts, the other 4-H. I laughed but we will do it. I'll keep you updated on how they like the groups. My husband wanted them to both be in the same thing, but I am okay with them not.