Combines 54 foot headerIJIJIJ

tbran

We have several 25-30' headers running on 62's-72-s . last one we were in the field with was running 70bu wheat that was waist high and THICK. He was cutting 'bout 6-8" off ground and baling straw behind... Feeding wasn't problem... the old Cummins ponies were maxed out most of the time except when pacer slowed us down due to so much straw and it being a little damp. Also the C'62 is 'bout the biggest throat CI's on the market -not that that matters. It ain't the size- it's how you use it... :)-)

T__langan

We get the same remarks about our R50 - "the throat is so narrow, must not have any capacity". I think it's a throwback to the old conventional days when feederhouse width was a good indicator of machine capacity. I really don't think it applies much to rotaries. As for the 54' headers - a Gleaner engineer I talked with last summer claims they are experimenting with 54' due to the fact that custom cutters say the farmers they cut for complain if they drive fast enough to keep the R72's fed with 30' heads. They think if they are traveling that fast they must not be doing a decent job. So make a wider header to keep combine fed at slower ground speed. Tom l.

John

How do they expect to dump with that long of headerIJ Even the turret would be hard pressed to dump that far. One of the reasons I don't want to go to a 36' drapper, as it's already hard to dump with 30'. And a 3' extention they sell wouldn't help that much.

Combineman

I beleive that on a 36' Draper, all 6' additional feet are on the left side of the machine. On the unload side it clears the same as a 30' head. I'm not sure about the 42' Honey Bee's. I too agree that too many people judge a combines capacity by the size of the feer house. I used to be a powerful 'Gleaner' hatter. I've been paying close attention this wheat harvest and where I live, following wheat with no till corn and beans is a big part of farming practices. I big factor in no till is residue spreading behind the machine. Choppers and chaff spreaders have become a common house hold name around here. I also noticed that Case nad Deere still have problems no matter what is done or what is attached to the back of the machine. There were several cutters here that ran Rotery Gleaners. I saw nothing special attached to the back and there was no machine that spread and chopped up the straw as well as the Gleaners. I was impressed. I too looked down on high ground speed as a poor and dangerous way to operate a combine. As an Ex-Custom harvester, I get a kick out of certain farmers that are dead against high ground speeds. Then as a possible hail storm appraoches, they ask if we could go alittle faster. With a class 7 machine you could run faster. I think my days of poking fun at Gleaners are at an end. CM

T__langan

Congrats to Combineman on his "awakening"! I think a Barmitzvah is in order, whatever the heck those are! I'm from WI, I'll bring the bratwursts and beer and tbrans M.I.l. can whip up something too! (Perhaps kosher ham sandwiches) Remember, behind every green cloud is a SIlVER lining.

Deerebines

So out of curiosity........with a 30 foot plat how many wheat seeds in a square foot behind a gleaner constitutes a bushel an acre lossIJ let's say an R-72 seeing this is the big boy of the family. According to the book if I read right on the 94, 9600 of mine it's 76 seeds. It varies from the 9600 to 9500 and 9400 with the same plat if I remember correctly. I'm just curious if gleaner's specs are set a little differently. We've always called them silver seeders in this area. No insult intended with that statement by the way. Just wondering if gleaner's loss chart is higher is all. Deerebines