6.4 Powerstroke Good Or Bad

Matt

Is the 6.4 Powerstroke good or bad? I'm considering purchasing a 2008 Ford 3/4 ton.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Don't ask a dodge guy. That's me. First gen 12v cummings all the way. If you can find one!!! They're bulletproof workhorses and I own two.

Blenderman

I had a 2008 F250. It was more powerful than my 7.3 but not nearly as reliable. When ot wasn't acting up, it was a good truck. When it went into limp mode due to the not so good wiring harness molded into the gasket going to the fuel pump on the rear top of the engine it slowed to 35 mph until you shut it off and started it back up. No one could figure it out at the dealerships, and I wasn't willing to throw parts to figure it out. Hard for me to DIY it due to having to remove the cab or drop the transfer case and transmission to get to the harness. Ditched it. Still running my 7.3 Excursion 20 years on and 249k original everything and Ford/Motorcraft parts. Much easier to work on. The 6.7 is decent from what I see and hear but have no experience.

Fastshivy

6.4 Powerstroke worst engine Ford ever made. They are basically disposable engines as they can not be re sleeved. They had head gasket problems egr cooler problems to the point Ford sued IH over their build quality. The 6.0 is a little better and both can be made into great engines for about 15K The trucks and trannys are great however.