Combines 60 series engines

greenstrat

motor blows on a new deere, deere immediately comes out and replaces whole motor. running in two days. 8010 falls apart, dealer says,"updates are coming". You really wonderIJ The way this is going, deere will be the only player left besides the big european. Deere may not have the best machine going, but it's dealer support is what puts it head and shoulders above the rest. If only all the other manufacturers would figure this out, there might be some competition. gs

MostlyGreen

lIKE the 8010 fiasco of yesteryear, Deere is admittedly having some issues with thier 9660's, predominantly with the n6 journal on thier 8.1 litre engines. UNlIKE CaseIH, however, Deere has found the problem, has admitted to the problem and has a solution to the problem THIS YEAR (i.e. NOT next year) and is replacing the ENTIRE engine, not "patching" thier mistakes. As far as a 9860 being a "turned-up" 9660, with logic like that then can I assume a 2388 is a "turned-up" 2377IJ

MostlyGreen

You're absolutely right; - the "global economy" has really made it difficult to distinguish domestic from foreign goods. I recently traded my Toyota Tundra for a Dodge Diesel, thinking I was supporting North American manufacturers; - turns out the Toyota has more North American "content" (i.e. hours of labor, materials, etc.) than the Dodge, which is a Mexican assembled truck built for a German-based manufacturer! Go figure!

Mav

Your logic is comparing apples to oranges. If the 9860 was released before the 9660, then you would have an argument. But the fact still remains that the 2388 has been out a long time before the 2377. Therefore, a 2377 is a turned down 2388. And please define what you mean by IH patching their mistakes. The point is simple. Deere uses essentially the same machine (threshing and cleaning) over a broader range of horsepower. For Deere: Start with a 9560 at 265 hp. Go up 40 hp to a 9660 and they change machine size. Now go up 35 hp to a 9760, still same machine size. And yet another 35 hp increase (9860) with the same size of machine. For Cat: Start with 560R at 290 hp. Go up 50 hp to a 570R with the same machine. Now go up 60 hp to a 580R and note the increase machine size. Another 62 hp increase (590R) results in another increase in machine size. For Case IH: Start with a 2366 at 250 hp (Im not sure if they are still available). Now go up zero hp to a 2377, the machine size increases. Go up 30 hp to a 2388, the machine size stays the same. Now go up 95 hp to an 8010 and machine size increases. I think if one would continue the research they would find the rest of the industry is similar to Cat and Case. Maybe Deere is a step above everyone else with the one size fits most all combine.

Mav

Personally, I would prefer to have both a reliable product and good dealer support. And currently, I think Case IH is doing a good job at both. I really do not think you can bad mouth Case IH for their support. From my readings, I think they did a pretty good job trying to limp the 8010 owners through last years harvest. Maybe red guys are more vocal about their problems since they are not accustomed to it. ;-)

HFl

The 9660 is back in the field with its new engine and running fine. I hope that this new engine has the problem corrected and that engine replacement is a one time thing. In the two years we have used this combine we only had one breakdown. I know it was a major breakdown. If Deere gets their act together on these engines I think their combine is as reliable as any out there. Its not that easy to change brands of combines in some situations. When we bought our 9660 we would have liked to try a 2388 but we had a nearly brand new 36 foot draper header that fit JD but not Case. We could have traded headers too but it all costs money and takes time to find a header that will work for you and fits the combine your looking at. No case dealer wanted to bring a combine to our farm and let us try it out. Our Deere dealer brought one out. If these combines were a few bucks each we would have one of every kind and then we would know which one we liked best.

Mav

Actually they do. The 8.3 liter (505 cu in) is Case_Cummins engine. It is similar to the 8.1 liter of Deere where they use it in the combines, high-horsepower MFD tractors, sprayers, etc. I can not think of one bad thing said about the 8.3. They have been very dependable.

HFl

In their advertizing book it says the 8.3 liter and the 9 liter are Case IH branded and built by CDC.

MostlyGreen

If you "research" the origin of Deere's initial rotary offerings, you'd find the Class 8 9880STS was introduced (in Europe only) one season prior to the 9650 and 9750 in North America. I stand by my observations that, in fact, a 9650 and 9750 are simply "de-tuned" 9880's, hence 9760's and 9660's could AlSO be considered detuned 9860's; - the series started with the 9880. In addition, (and by your own admission above),Deere DOES offer 2 completely different "physically-sized" combines, just like Case-IH, New Holland, Gleaner, and Massey. I fail to see what Deere is doing any differently than the other colors!