Combines 850 straw walker trouble

Ken

Can you get name of company that makes them walkersIJ Would be interested in some also.

greenstrat

call vinton equipt. Pacific Junction, Ia. for used ones, they have several on hand,and in a building. 712 527 3118. gs

gcparts

You can get aftermarket walkers from your local loewen dealer. If you don't have a loewen dealer, we can help you out. Give us a shout at 1-888-327-6767. Have a good one! Marc T

Cookie_Jar

I was combining soybeans last week, (weve had a lot of rain here for the past month),under tough conditions. When I took in a large clump and bunged the MF750, I heard a bang just as the separator came to a stop. After unbunging the table auger, feeder-house and cylinder, I noticed that the walker drive was seized. After crawling in on sheets of plywood, I removed a large clump of material at the front of the walkers. The walker drive was still hanging up. Closer inspection showed that the steel fingers under the rear beater had been pushed down, and the front of the walkers were striking the fingers on their ends. I bent the finger up so they would clear the walkers by about 1 inch. From your report, I guess I was lucky non of the walkers got wrecked.

kornhead

When I checked with my local Massey dealer, he said they get them from Schmidt Machine, Upper Sandusky, Ohio, 419-294-3814. They do look a lot heavier than the original. Plus the grate on top is more like a louver, which should keep the cobs from getting jammed. I think what caused mine to fail was excessive play in the blocks, which let it wobble enough to jamb up.

Goober

The walkers from Schmidt Machine are great. Heavier than original. The problem usually is that as the wooden blocks get worn they dry out and crack. If the block cracks in the wrong spot a piece can fall out and then the walker starts to bounce around and tears out the mount in no time at all. The new wooden blocks come with a square metal plate under the block which ties together all four mounting bolts so even if the block does crack it can't fall out. When I saw these newer style metal plates under the blocks instead of the old tin straps to lock the square nuts they used to use we went to work and made metal plates for all the rest of the remaining walkers. Since that we have never ruined a walker in over 12 years.

Doug

I just had the exact same thing happen. The plate on the end of the steel fingers behind the rear beater broke allowing the fingers to drop down causing the walker to jam into adjacent one and tore the rear block mount out. Rewelded and reinforced the rear mount and put back together. I think a rock came through and caused the weld to break due some scrapes on the rear beater. Doug

geekyfarmer

If this is an early 850, the skirt on the side of the walkers taper up from the rear block mount to the end of the walker. What this means is that there is a gap between the bottom of the skirt and the top of the next walker (the serated part) when any given walker is at the top of it's travel. Corn cobs fall into that gap and sit there hammering until the cob breaks in half, the block breaks apart, or the walker twists and breaks. It's ugly one way or another. You can weld or rivet longer skirts onto the old-style walkers. I've done it, and it works well. Make sure you use very light iron and it only hangs low enough to cover the gap. New walkers will not taper between the block mounting and the end. If you're feeling pretty flush, I think you could replace every other walker with the new style and accomplish the same thing. There seem to be more new-style in the salvage yards these days. Good luck!