Combines 9500 questionIJ

farmboy

I ran a 9600 with 2500 sep. hrs. and 3400 engine hours. I sold the machine in July 1999 and the new owner said it worked fine for him this fall. He added another 200hrs. We had no down time with this machine and no unexpected expense. I hope the new one works as well!

KCC

I custom harvest and put on anywhere from 700 to 900 hours a year on my machines. I run 9600's but I truly believe that you get out what you put in. What I mean is if you spend the time to take care of your machine it will treat you right. I have bought lemons and it was a direct result of how the machine was takin care of before I owned the machine. I have a machine with almost 4000 seperator hours and I have put lots of parts in that have more than been past there useful life. If you have any questions on what to look for feel free to ask me....I'll help all I can.

Dr__Deere

I've worked on combines at a dealer now for 6 years, have seen about everything from very good maintance to very bad. KCC and farmboy are right it just depends on how the previous owner took care of his machine. You have to be very carefull on what you look at, alot of people think if the sheet metal and appearence look good then it must of been taken care of but it can be very misleading. If you would like any help on what to look for I would be more that happy, I would e-mail you a list of things that we find the most often that are neglected.

kinetic

A friend of mine bought 2 1994 9600's when they were two years old in the spring of 1996. Both machines had around 600 sep. hrs each and were both in immaculate condition. The previous owner took great care of the appearance and always shedded them. However, there were some problems on them that he never saw. When the previous owner was done in the fall with harvesting, he would pressure wash them off thoroughly(sp) from front to back and they went straight into the shed. Big no no. He should have done this the last day of harvest and then run the machines to dry them on the inside before storage. On both combines all of the front shoe auger bearings had to be replaced from water setting in behind them for the winter. Along with rust in the grain tank and a few other plaes. And the Feederhouse chains were both shot from too frequent tightening and had to be replaced within 50 hrs after he bought them. Plus the previous owner also greased the slip clutches way too often and caused premature wear, it was all we could do to keep them from slipping under normal load conditions. We also replaced the bottom clean grain auger that was wore completely out. And then all of the bushings in the rear steering wheels had to be replaced from no grease at all!! Just an experience of my own, thought it might give ya somethin else to look for. thanks, kinetic.

T__langan

The clean grain auger was completely wore out in 600 hoursIJ Hmmmmmmmm. Any holes in the grain tank yetIJ Have heard they start as early as 800 hours in the 9000's.

kinetic

there was an estimated 2 inches wore off of the diameter of the bottom clean grain auger, how that happened, I have no idea. As far as the grain tank and holes, those machines were traded 2 years ago, so I don't know. There weren't any holes at the time, but there may be now.

KCC

The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner cut alot of beans with the machine and ran alot of dirt through the machine....nothing else wears a machine faster than dirt...

kinetic

The machines were from around the Fargo ND area in the Red River Valley. Whether or not they cut a lot of soybeans, I do not know. The machines had been basically neglected on the inside, exterior was very nice, but the guts of the machines, well that's another story. My friend who bought the machines was a JD mechanic(and a very good one) who decided to custom harvest with his father during the summer months, and even he didn't see all of this until we started running them. He lived in KS at the time, and for lack of time on his part, he had them fully inspected by the dealer before he bought them and supposedly everything was fine. Must of had some flunky do the inspecting because neither of the machines were up to OEM spec. It was a learning lesson for both us, and now we are a lot smarter because of it. These are just some extra things I would keep and eye out for when it's time to buy a machine. good luck.

beet

we had a 9500 with the same kinda hrs.it always need a few general repairs but an excellent machine. we might of over repaired but on days when it was not running if some thing was not right it got fixed or replaced .had very little in field down time in 10 years running.if there was a problem we were most likely to at least run to the end of the day and repair it at night .one thing i never see mentioned is to keep the top of the rad clean of caff and dust, where all the tubes come out and back into the rad sh2t gathers theres there and rusts the pipes,an expensive repair that can be prevented easily with a little maintance.

dingo

While we are on the 9500 question time I would like to know what capacity the 9500s are and also has the machine changed in capacity to the 9510-9550.