A Zoning Question

Kyle M

Kyle M

Farm Hand
Has anyone run into a situation where the farmland you or someone you know was zoned as historic as well as agricultural? If so, how do you think that historic designation affects the value of the property? As in the land and buildings combined?

Barncat

Farm Hand
I would think it might add value if being sold to a gov entity. But for sale to an actual farmer it likely lowers value. Why would someone interested in it for farming be wanting more restrictions which the historic designation may bring about?

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Some of our land has been designated as "wet lands". We are grandfathered and can still use the land - but, if we were to sell ... not sure how it would impact a new owner or the price we could get

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
That’s indeed a thing when it comes to selling the land yeah. A friend of mine almost gave up selling because of this. I don’t personally know how much trouble it causes, but my friend had a headache about this, I think.

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
Some of our land has been designated as "wet lands". We are grandfathered and can still use the land - but, if we were to sell ... not sure how it would impact a new owner or the price we could get

I would imagine grad-dad would follow the sale if it followed the previous sale. You know, when you bought it. I'm sure any insurance you may have is more expensive than typical?

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
We did not buy it ... we received it from our parents - they were considered co-owners of the property. Upon our Dad's death, our mother became sole-owner. In order "give" us the property without cost, my brother and I were listed as co-owners with our mother by means of a "quit-claim" deed. In this way, there was not a "transfer of ownership" from the current owner since our mother was still co-owner. At her death, her name was dropped as co-owner.

There was no sale and we are still considered to be "original owners" - thus the reason we are "grandfathered" with the land use