Combines Adjusting a 820 head

Gleamer

On the 520 pan there are hind joints that go to the skid pads that you can adjust to drop the front edge, I think you would shorten the back one first, lengthen the front one to tilt the bar down, back ones are easier to get to. Also a 520 has a hind joint rod on the far right about a foot above the bar, this is adjustable as well. Again this is on our 520 and my understanding is the auger tube diameter and flighting are the main differences between the two. We changed our teeth to 10 teeth per inch this year, a little coarser hoping to do a better job with bean stems but i dont expect them to last as long as a factory tooth which i think was 14's. As far as cutting, the teeth need to rub the guard base to cut consistent. You should be able to run 4 mph and cut clean as long as the 40 can handle the crop. Worn teeth and rounded over guard edges and loose bar tops letting the teeth run high in a gaurd can cause poor performance. Good luck

NDDan

I believe the stabilizer link up above the cutterbar on both sides like Gleamer describes is what is supposed to tilt the guards similar to the rest of cutterbar. This sould work as long as the eyebolts under the feather sheet will allow it. I checked a couple 8000 heads that we flipped SCH on and they tilt down !_4" on average when set to cut at max height. There is no doubt that tring to cut plant closer to its base does cut cleaner. Fliping sickle only lowers guards by about 7_8" but sure cuts cleaner. My $100,000 dollar question is: Should guards be pointed down, paralel, or pointed upIJ I forget the handle on the guy on hear that redesigns skid shoes but I'm thinking he has mount for sickle bar that allows guards to be low and paralel!

Nowgleaner7

I have always found that knives cut better tilted slightly down to parallel, and never up.

sidekick

I leveled the points on a bar with less than 100A(all new parts)on my F2 and it left alot of chewed stems with pods.Tilted it back down and cuts fine.

NDDan

Thanks guys, Maybe the crop is being pushed over a bit when getting cut so it cuts more squarely to plant with it tilted down.