Advice for New Hobby Farmers

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
A friend of mine wants to start a small hobby farm. What advice would you give a new hobby farmer? I've been farming for so long, I don't know where to tell her to start! I told her to start small and slow - don't try to do everything she wants to do at once. Try growing a few things this coming Spring, maybe get one type of animal to care for - don't try to accomplish everything right away.

Syd. L

Syd. L

Farm Hand
My advice would be to do it in order to supplement your store bought food instead of trying to replace it. Leave that to the homesteaders.

For example, grow what you need in order to make your own spaghetti sauce, and that's it. Have a small goal in mind to begin with.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Do they want to grow for cash or just for their own stash? Makes a big difference. When you're just doing it for fun there are no rules, trial and error wins the race. If you need to pay for the hobby then you're in a totally different conversation.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
@Kathy, that's great advice about starting with just one kind of animal. Issues that tend to throw first-timers are how to prevent overcrowding due to breeding, how to handle sickness, and how to handle slaughter.

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
If you need to pay for the hobby then you're in a totally different conversation.

Aren't you considered a small farm operation at that point and not a hobby farm anymore? Money draws that line. Also, at that point, taxes come into play. Maybe not a lot, but enough to be paid attention to.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Let them know they need to have a waste management plan drawn up and ready to implement. In particular, the amount of manure to deal with can be overwhelming if there's not a plan in place.