Another spike in virus, planting more?

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
Is anyone planning on planting more next season because of the virus? It's getting scary again out there. I'm afraid they are going to start shutting down again. We are designing new beds so we can plant more vegetables next season.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
Absolutely! We are also buying more beef cows and a couple of pigs too. I only wish we could make toilet paper and hand sanitizer! We are going to try to grow or raise what we need next season.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
We are expanding our garden and getting more chickens for eggs. Covid is not going away anytime soon, it's best to be prepared for whatever happens.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
Getting more chickens is a great idea! Yes, we too are expanding our gardens. I didn't think about extra chickens but now I will. More chickens equals more eggs and meat.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I'm planning to add more varieties to our home garden for sure.
Covid is not going away anytime soon, it's best to be prepared for whatever happens.
No faith in Moderna's or Pfizer's vaccine? I'm a bit skeptical myself. The fastest vaccine ever created was for smallpox and that took years. I guess we'll see what happens.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
I think even with a vaccine, it will take years to perfect. Look at the flu shot!
Yes, we are even looking into greenhouses. We want to be able to produce more and for a longer period of time.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I work in the health care industry. The vaccine is going to take a while to test to determine if it's effective and safe.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
The vaccine is going to take a while to test to determine if it's effective and safe.
That's true, but look at how many people that are being vaccinated a part of the trial. It's loads and loads in many different countries. Some volunteers will get a placebo of course and some vaccines will be ineffective, but if a fraction of them works, then surely that will cut down on the spread. I hope you're staying as safe as possible. It would be rough to be a health care worker right now. I feel like thanking you for your service, like we thank the military. I think it's irresponsible not to garden if you can. I wish more people had the attitude that they need to look after their food supply and look after their community as well.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I don't want to take credit for something that I'm not doing. Although I work in the health care industry, I work as a health care regulator for the New York State Dept. of Health. So don't give me credit as a health care hero, I'm not one of them, but I do know something about vaccines.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
I figure whether there is a vaccine or not it will take a bit to get to all of us. I do agree with pseag on this one. Every year there are many cases of the flu. We are told that the vaccine was the wrong strain of flu.

I never thought about chickens! Are they easy to raise? About how much room do they need?