Anyone canning?

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
We have already had an abundance of tomatoes, peppers and onions. I'm going to be making stewed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and canned tomatoes with onions starting tomorrow. I can't wait. Anyone else have a lot of crop already?

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
I've been fermenting batches of cucumbers, relish, and kimchi this week. Do you have any tips for peeling the skins away, @Holii? My tomatoes never give them up easily.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I haven't started yet because I simply can't bear to make the house hotter than it already is. I've been hanging spices to dry out, but that's about it.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
We have been canning and freezing. We do it at night when it's cooler out.
@Katie We put our tomatoes in boiling hot water. The skins peel right off.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
I want to dry spices too. We haven't done that yet. Is it as easy as it sounds? Just hang them in a dry area?
Canning was a success for the first round. We will be making pickles this weekend.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
We are! It's hard work, but it's worth it to have enough tasty, nutritious food to get us through the cold months. I miss canning with friends. It made it seem less like work and more like a party.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I want to dry spices too. We haven't done that yet. Is it as easy as it sounds? Just hang them in a dry area?
It's very easy! There are different ways to do it, but I just bundle my herbs, then I hang them upside down in the basement until they're dry enough to strip and package. They're usually ready within a week or two. You should try it.